Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

the bathroom light


This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. - Jesus Christ

it happens every night without fail...

You have been asleep only about an hour and it hits you. You have to pee!!! As you slowly come out of your dreamy haze, you debate just how bad you need to go to the john. You think to yourself, “well if I can just hold it for um… six more hours then I will get up.” But then you remember some study that came out about how holding it is bad for your prostate and even though you have no idea where your prostate is you know that you don’t want a bad one of those. So you make some neanderthal grunting noises and climb out of bed. 

As you walk along the dark hallway leading to your oasis you thank God for one thing. You remembered to leave the bathroom light on before you went to bed and now you have some light to guide you. 

Cause we all know what happens when we forget to leave the light on. You know, you will be staggering to the bathroom in the dark and stub your baby toe on a piece of furniture that the night elves put in your path just for fun. 


Then you will let out a string of words under your breath that a biker wouldn’t repeat. A pain shoots through your entire body and you could swear that you broke your whole leg. 

Oh yeah, when you forget to leave that light on a lot of weirdness can happen. I once forget to leave that light on and when I made my nightly pilgrimage to the bathroom I was too tired to turn the light on. I figured I had been doing this for a good 18 years and I could do it without the light on. Needless to say it wasn’t that easy. 

Life Lesson 103: 
Never put your dirty close hamper directly across from your toilet. 
(anybody can get disoriented in the dark)

without that light we are lost

Without that light the trip is so much harder.
Jesus once said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

We live in a dark world, where many people are lost and blind. Some people can’t see
beyond the sin of this world. I was there once too. But one day, into my darkness came a shimmer of light, and as I walked closer to the light I knew I had found the way. 

That was the day that Jesus came into my heart and saved me. Now I can be the light to others who are in the dark. Our world has been in the dark for so long that we have begun to hate the light. We are spiritually nocturnal.

But for all of the artificial light that we have created we can’t compete with the true light, Jesus Christ.

As believers we have been given the unique and wonderful opportunity to reflect the light to the dark parts of this world. We can light the path for those walking in the dark and encourage them to follow the light too.

Yet all too often, since we live in a world of darkness we choose to be dark also. We hide our light so that we can fit in with those in the dark, because if our light shown, then everyone would know that we are different and maybe we wouldn’t be accepted the same. 

one match can light up a dark room 

So as believers we are the light and everyone will see, unless we choose to bury our light under our sin and pride and cover our light with our fear of rejection and want for acceptance.

Wow, boy are we dumb. I can tell you that I would surely laugh at the person that got up during the night and walked to the bathroom in the dark while holding a flashlight. That person could have avoided all the stubbed toes, bumped heads and embarrassing accidents. But everyday that we go through our lives hiding the light of Christ we do the same thing. We are under the belief that life will be easier, and the world will love us more if we are in the darkness with them, when the exact opposite is true. 

I have a love and appreciation for the person that led me to Christ that I can’t even describe. Had he hidden his faith I may still be without Christ.

Jesus is the light of the world and we are his mirrors to the world. Today you must choose to live as a child of the light or to continue on in this world of darkness. Either way know that for every second you waiver on the fence of indecision people are stubbing toes and bumping into walls all in search of the true light.

Flip the switch in your life today and shine the light of Christ through your life, to this dark world.
 
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. - Jesus Christ


No comments:

Post a Comment